Personal styling is about understanding the person behind the clothes. Client questionnaires are an opportunity to ask your styling client key questions about their shopping habits and wardrobe needs, but they are also a great way to determine their character. In order to understand your client beyond what lies on the surface, you need to ask unconventional questions. Though it may seem trivial, your client's typical Saturday night plans or dream holiday destination play an important role in their style identity. Here are 10 personal styling client questions that reveal more than meets the eye...
10 Client Questionnaire Ideas for Personal Stylists
1. You get given a free ticket to anywhere in the world, where are you going? Why?
Do they dream of walking NYC streets or sunning on a beach in Bali? Explore how you can you incorporate a touch of that fantasy into their everyday life via their wardrobe.
2. It's a Saturday night, what are you doing for dinner?
Does your client need an outfit for fine dining with friends, or are they more likely to need something cute but cosy for staying in and ordering pizza?
3. If you could live in any time period, when would you choose to live and why?
70s flares, 80s power suits, or 50s rockabilly—what elements of their chosen era's aesthetic can you incorporate into your client's wardrobe?
4. What's on your social calendar for the next 3 months?
A good way to take a snapshot of your client's life and figure out what they need to make them feel fabulous on all of these occasions.
5. What album do you play on repeat?
Fashion and music are closely linked. Perhaps your client's favourite singer doubles as a style icon or their favourite sound indicates a preference for a certain aesthetic.
6. If you were stranded on a deserted island alone, what six items would you need?
It is important to understand your client's fundamental priorities. This is also a good way to start a conversation about letting go of old, unnecessary clothing to make room for the new!
7. Describe your perfect Sunday...
Put yourself in your client's Sunday shoes. What kind of wardrobe do they ned to make them feel comfortable yet fabulous?
8. What are you watching on Netflix these days?
Does your client hope to embody the confidence of their favourite fictional character? Could you recreate the fashion aesthetic of their favourite show?
9. What is your favourite hobby?
Is your client a keen runner, a talented artist, or an animal lover? How can their wardrobe be more functional for taking part in these activities, whilst still being stylish?
10. If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
Flying, mind-reading, or the ability to style an outfit without any stress—if the latter, you know where to focus your attention!