The job of an interior designer is to transform a house into a home. In order to do so, an interior designer needs to know their client inside and out. The best way to get to know your interior design client? Ask the right questions—and more importantly, listen to the answers. Though it may seem trivial, your client's favourite meal or dream holiday destination can speak volumes. In order to build a home that is beautiful, practical, and truly reflective of its residents—you first need to thoroughly understand your client's lifestyle and personality. Here are 10 unconventional questions you can ask to get to know your clients and reveal more than meets the eye...
Interior design client questionnaire ideas
1. You get given a free ticket to anywhere in the world, where are you going? Why?
Can you incorporate a touch of that culture into their everyday home?
2. It's a Saturday night, what are you doing for dinner?
Are your clients heading out to a fancy restaurant or do they need an area dedicated to hosting friends? Perhaps they need a big comfy sofa to snuggle down and order a pizza?
3. If you could live in any time period, when would you choose to live and why?
Are there elements of that era's aesthetic that you can incorporate into your design? Retro-futurism, Memphis Design, or Gothic Revival?
4. What festive holiday do you enjoy most and why?
A good indicator of how your client likes to entertain and how this new space will be used. Plus, you might find out where they envision their Christmas tree—think sockets!
5. What album do you play on repeat?
Music is often a good indicator of aesthetic. Additionally, if your client reveals music is important to them, you might want to account for a great sound system in your design.
6. If you were stranded on a deserted island alone, what six items would you need?
It is important to understand your client's fundamental priorities. Also, a good way to start a chat about necessities with a hoarding-inclined client.
7. Are you a morning person or a night owl?
Think lighting! Would your client prefer a spot to catch early morning rays or the last of the evening sun?
8. Describe your perfect Sunday...
Put yourself in your client's Sunday shoes. Do they need big kitchen counters to prepare a Sunday roast? A space to wash off muddy football boots? A big screen for a family movie night?
9. What is your favourite hobby?
Is your client a keen rower, a talented artist, or an animal lover? Remember to take into account where the equipment for these hobbies will be stored!
10. If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
Flying, mind-reading, or the ability to tidy up at 2x speed—if the latter, innovative storage solutions are in order!